Log in

No account? Create an account
Zer Netmouse
May 3rd, 2004
11:39 am


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
terminology question
okay, folks, what's a term for the drawing style of the powerpuff girls? I was thinking Manga but that's not really specific enough.

(6 comments | Leave a comment)

[User Picture]
Date:May 3rd, 2004 09:31 am (UTC)

Okay, so that wasn't what you were looking for.

Bad animation?

[User Picture]
Date:May 3rd, 2004 10:03 am (UTC)

I've never seen the show, but there was a really cute t-shirt at Penguicon in which some Sandman characters were rendered in the same style.

knowing almost nothing about anime subgenres, I'm hoping one of my librarian friends might know what it is...
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
Date:May 3rd, 2004 11:23 am (UTC)
nope. it was completely black and white, line art like the powerpuff girls. -Death and I think four other characters, bursting out from center in a classic superhero burst. Round heads, small bodies - exactly the same drawing style as powerpuff girls.
[User Picture]
Date:May 3rd, 2004 12:40 pm (UTC)
Perhaps you're thinking of BESM. (Big eyes, small mouth.) One thing I noticed about several new cartoons such as Powerpuff Girls is that they seem to be computer-assisted. The simple geometric shapes and clean line art with different thicknesses of outlines seem mechanically precise. So perhaps that should be part of the style definition.
[User Picture]
Date:May 3rd, 2004 05:43 pm (UTC)
I'm not sure that style of illustration has a genre-name yet. It's pretty unique to the Powerpuff Girls. It's vaguely chibi, but not quite
Date:May 3rd, 2004 05:49 pm (UTC)
I don't the style has a name. But Genndy Tartakovsky is the animator, also responsible for Dexter's Labratory, and Samurai Jack.
Netmouse on the web Powered by LiveJournal.com