So now, my first substantive post in a while will be... (drumroll please) to indicate which movies I'm looking forward to, coming up.
- Whip It. Somewhat unexpectedly, this is not a movie about S&M. It's about a girl who sneaks out to play Roller Derby. Directed by Drew Barrymore and probably a little sappy, this looks like fun. Out now.
- Amelia. I recently did a bunch of research on Jean Batten, another early aviatrix, so even though I know a lot of history is missing or ignored in this movie I've still excited about seeing it. Also: Ewan McGregor. Comes out Oct 23.
- The Men Who Stare at Goats. This looks silly. George Clooney, Ewan McGregor. I'm ready to see it on that basis, I think. Nov 6.
- Precious. Set in Harlem in 1987, an uplifting movie about alternative education and self-determination. I love those. Comes out Nov 13.
- The Princess and the Frog. Classic Disney musical about a girl who dreams of having her own restaurant in New Orleans and the frog who... may not make those dreams come true. Disney finally makes an animated film with an african-american protagonist and principal cast. I just hope they don't fuck it up. Dec 11.
What are *you* looking forward to seeing?