Two Ewan McGregor movies coming soon! - Zer Netmouse
Two Ewan McGregor movies coming soon!|
I know I haven't been posting lately. Life's been pretty full with work and the house and spending time with my sweetie (did you know he's a good cook? I was reminded last weekend... yum) and prepping midfanzine and trying to get packages in the mail to people and generally get on top of Everything (that's not much, right?).
So now, my first substantive post in a while will be... (drumroll please) to indicate which movies I'm looking forward to, coming up.
- Whip It. Somewhat unexpectedly, this is not a movie about S&M. It's about a girl who sneaks out to play Roller Derby. Directed by Drew Barrymore and probably a little sappy, this looks like fun. Out now.
- Amelia. I recently did a bunch of research on Jean Batten, another early aviatrix, so even though I know a lot of history is missing or ignored in this movie I've still excited about seeing it. Also: Ewan McGregor. Comes out Oct 23.
- The Men Who Stare at Goats. This looks silly. George Clooney, Ewan McGregor. I'm ready to see it on that basis, I think. Nov 6.
- Precious. Set in Harlem in 1987, an uplifting movie about alternative education and self-determination. I love those. Comes out Nov 13.
- The Princess and the Frog. Classic Disney musical about a girl who dreams of having her own restaurant in New Orleans and the frog who... may not make those dreams come true. Disney finally makes an animated film with an african-american protagonist and principal cast. I just hope they don't fuck it up. Dec 11.
What are *you* looking forward to seeing?
Apropos "The Men Who Stare at Goats", you might do better to just read the (screamingly funny -- and scary -- non-fiction) book
it's based on instead. Jon Ronson at his best.
I have decided to stop getting excited about movies and instead I'm going to get excited over the subsequent re-makes when we're 90. Star Wars will go out of copyright and someone can make the prequels with a story that doesn't suck and very movie that could have been awesome and wasn't will be remade by someone who know what s/he's doing...
So mote it be.
|Date:||October 9th, 2009 05:04 pm (UTC)|| |
I'm planning to see "The Men Who Stare at Goats", too. It looks interesting enough to drag me to a movie. (Thanks to Mr. Autopope over there for the book pointer)
Now, I'll recommend one: Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/
). There is nothing really new to science fiction here. The glory of it is that they don't screw it up. I thought it was well-shot, -acted, and -written; practically not Hollywoodized at all.
Whip It. Somewhat unexpectedly, this is not a movie about S&M.
Nor is it about Devo.
I have no idea what is coming up before year's end. The only movie I truly want to see is "Capitalism: A Love Story"; I'll have to wait until it hits the dollar theater.
yeah. I'm wondering if Devo doesn't show up at some point...
I don't see many movies, but I'm looking forward to "Up in the Air" (Xmas release), because it's a romantic comedy with George Clooney. "Pirate Radio" looks interesting (set in 1960s Britain, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman) but I don't know if it will play here.
Just as a side note, the book "Men Who Look at Goats" is fascinating in its own right. I love Jon Ronson's work.
hmm... that's two recommendations for reading him. Do you own anything of his I might borrow?
The street Fair is on in yellow springs tomorrow, btw. I'll be around until mid-afternoon.
|Date:||October 12th, 2009 12:51 am (UTC)|| |
If I'd made this comment right after you'd posted this, I'd have said "ConClave". Now, of course, it's over and I'm home. It felt a bit odd to be in the same hotel as this year's Penguicon, and yet not see you or the various folks occupied by VP like matociquala
that I kept expecting to run into.
(OTOH, despite the calendar proximity of Arisia and Confusion, I may be at a Michigan con again as soon as January...not a guarantee, but certainly an intention.)
I don't think Bear or Scalzi have ever been to ConClave. It's just not as much of a draw as the other Michigan cons. My next con will be Windycon. I don't know if I will be at ConFusion or not. Next year is like one big huge question mark. Heck, if Bri and I win Taff we'll even be going to Eastercon!
(vote for us for TAFF?)
|Date:||October 12th, 2009 02:44 am (UTC)|| |
I only have Penguicons 6 and 7 to calibrate against as far as Michigan cons, so I didn't really know what to expect from ConClave. It wound up winning my "what con can I get to between Worldcon and Arisia" contest partially because I have Monday off!
I'm really glad it worked out that way and I went, though. It was just what I needed pretty much just when I needed it.
I'd love to get to Windycon as well but the timing and logistics just don't work. At least I got to see beamjockey
TAFF: now that the ballots are out, yeah! Then I can get the vicarious trip and feel both proud and jealous at the same time! (Of course, if I could make it to Windycon I could deliver my ballot to Chris directly. Sigh.)