Exploring the Future of Women in IT
Ann Arbor IT Zone, Tuesday, June 7, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Join us for an open discussion on how to increase gender diversity within computer-related fields. Whether you are a man or a woman, a hiring manager for a software development team, a membership chairperson for a user group, a computer professional, or a computer hobbyist, please attend and contribute to this important conversation. Attendees will be informed about current research, learn from each other, and leave with ideas on how to get involved and initiate change.
Questions and answers will come from the attendees. Some of the topics we will discuss include:
* Why aren't more women choosing computing courses and pursuing technical careers?
* How can we encourage more women to join user groups and make presentations at technical conferences?
* Why aren't more women involved in open source projects?
* What would make these projects, these events, and these careers more appealing to women? What turns women away from them today?
* How do I get my daughter interested in computing technology?
This is a free event but we do ask that you register. Please go to
http://annarboritzone.com/eventlist.asp?EventID=797 to do that.
I'm not crazy about the title myself... "IT" always carries echos of support services to me, whereas I want to focus on women getting involved as programmers, but we're trying to be inclusive...
Anyway, if you're interested, do come, and maybe a group of us will go out to dinner after.