Log in

No account? Create an account
Zer Netmouse
May 16th, 2005
12:47 am


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
something that came up while washing my car..
Does anyone have advice on what to do about tiny chips in the paint that my car has accumulated along the front edge and around the front grill? I'm sure they're just from little stones or what-not, but I don't want them to get worse.

(8 comments | Leave a comment)

(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
Date:May 16th, 2005 10:45 am (UTC)
cool about the car key...

I ordered some touch-up paint from the dealer.

how long have we had the B-ball hoop? it came with the house. We've thought pretty seriously about taking it out, actually. the driveway is so narrow, we're constantly worrying about hitting the pole, and it's just ugly and unused. if I want to play basketball, I'll play on the court two blocks away at Virginia Park, not on the cracked and angled concrete of my narrow driveway.
[User Picture]
Date:May 16th, 2005 05:33 am (UTC)
The touch-up paint is my suggestion as well. Ask for the bottle, not the spray can. Spray doesn't work as well but they'll still happily sell it to you. :P The Pumpkin has a bottle of Carousel Red on standby... and I use a smaller artists brush because the one that comes inside the lid of the touchup paint can be too large, and is rather stiff and doesn't manipulate as easily. Sometimes it takes several layers to build up the paint in a chip... better to do that than to put a big glob on all at once.

You might also check into getting a car bra. It covers the front of the car while you're driving and prevents excessive chipping and is really handy for those late-summer bug invasions.
[User Picture]
Date:May 16th, 2005 10:43 am (UTC)
cool. I just ordered a bottle of what *should* be the right color from the dealer. They say they don't usually carry it so I have to wait a couple days. Hopefully it arrives before my trip to Phoenix.

I'm also going to get a new battery for my lock remote (should be under warranty) because it's ridiculous how close to my car I have to be to lock and unlock it.

I don't think I'll go the car bra route just yet. I might change my mind after seeing how well the painting works...
Date:May 16th, 2005 06:30 am (UTC)
You can also often buff them out with some turtle wax...
[User Picture]
Date:May 16th, 2005 08:10 am (UTC)
If you go to an auto parts store (like Murray's up on the corner by your house), you can usually get paint touch-up kits in standard car colors. You can use those to paint over the chips and hopefully keep them from spreading.
Date:May 16th, 2005 08:23 am (UTC)


I recommend replacing the car.

Aquaintance of dubious merit,
[User Picture]
Date:May 16th, 2005 08:38 am (UTC)
I have a bottle of touch up paint that I got at the dealer, comes w a little brush in the cap. I can get you a discount if Ford. If you have any rust, need to sand it first or can get a bottle of stuff that forces a hard black oxide & prevents rust from Murray's, especially good if you have a black car.
Netmouse on the web Powered by LiveJournal.com