?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Why I'm up at 5 am - Zer Netmouse
November 2nd, 2009
05:09 am

[Link]

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Why I'm up at 5 am
A) I went to bed early.

B) when I woke up around 3:40 something smelled bad.

First it smelled like something burning. Maybe something plastic? I went into the utility room to unplug the space heater I'd turned on yesterday in there (the room was a late add-on to the house and gets no heated air from the furnace except through the kitchen). The smell was much worse in the kitchen, but not particularly concentrated around the heater, which was barely warm. I unplugged it anyway. Standing in the kitchen it occurred to me it smelled slightly sulpheric, which could be the smell they add to natural gas. I went back in the utility room to check the carbon monoxide detector--plugged in and green. I went back to bed.

But I was fretting.

The smell wasn't getting any better. I wasn't sure if natural gas would trip a carbon monoxide detector. If I was really worried, I told myself, I should open a window. I opened the window at the head of my bed, and immediately got a headache. then I was really worried.

So I got up, got dressed, went upstairs and called the gas company. I described the situation to the guy on the phone. He asked me a few questions and confirmed that a carbon monoxide detector will often not detect natural gas. Then he ordered me out of the house.

So I'm waiting for someone to come check the house for a gas leak. I sat in the car for a little while but then the reflection of the laundromat in my mirror reminded me it has a fine view down my street. So now I'm there. It's a little chilly, but I'm not wasting gas like I was running the car, and I can move around to stay warm.

And there's power so I can play with my new iPhone 3Gs or my computer while I'm waiting. The computer was helpfully in the laptop case by the door when I left, so what the heck-I grabbed it. The bag also has my passport in it, so at least I'll have that if the house blows up.

*sigh*

I wonder how long it will take them to get here?

I will say this: there's more traffic around here at 5 am than I expected.

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments
 
[User Picture]
From:laurel
Date:November 2nd, 2009 10:39 am (UTC)
(Link)
They usually move pretty fast for a suspected gas leak, tho I don't know what kind of staffing they have this early in the morning.

You did the right thing-- is best to get it checked out. I've been there, done that.
[User Picture]
From:beowulf55
Date:November 2nd, 2009 03:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I also had a bad gas smell one evening.

Phoned the gas company, told to stop all nakid lights and avoid switching stuff off and on, Lights Etc.

After a coupld of hours a guy turned up, walked through the house, and told us there was a large gas cloud from holland accross the uk, and left.

when he'd gobe, we switched the fire back on and switched the lights on again upstairs so we could go to the loo.
Netmouse on the web Powered by LiveJournal.com